The Charm of Arashiyama


There can be no place that is as touristy as Arashiyama in Kyoto in my opinion, whether it may be spring, summer, autumn or winter. It was winter this time and it is packed. The place is no doubt one of the prettiest in the whole of Japan. 

I first saw this place from one of the IG accounts I follow -- a pretty photo with cherry blossoms on a spring day. That was when I decided I would go to Arashiyama and also the main reason why Kyoto became one of my major destinations in Japan.

In Arashiyama, you will find the Bamboo Forest, the beautiful Togetsukyo bridge and the pretty Hozugawa river, many temples and shrines, and the Sagano railway. My personal favorite is the Togetsukyo bridge which is very scenic. I think I love bodies of water more... I will talk about another favorite river on another time.

Even the way from Kyoto to Arashiyama is very scenic, and if there is one thing I would advise anyone who visit the Kansai region of Japan, it would be Arashiyama for a day trip. The train going to Arashiyama (San-in line) has a different layout than normal trains in Japan. Most seats are laid out like that of bus seats, facing forward, and there are some areas allotted for standing. The train was a bit old but clean, and though it was packed, it is very spacious and not stuffy. 

The train is fast and has plenty of curved rail tracks. Though it was somewhat scary, you will not really mind because the vibe was really cool. It just feels like I was on a school field trip. Plus, this ride made me feel I was really "on vacation".

Coming from Kyoto, there are a few options to get to Arashiyama. There was one where you can do two trains rides for less walking time, and one train ride with a 30-minute walk. Guess what I chose? You guessed it right. 

I walked at a more relaxed pace compared to the previous days. And this time around, I was kind of already used to pushing my legs to the limit. There were only a few people (again) on the way because yet again, I chose the less popular route. I will tell you about the few little gems I found along the way.

Aside from the cute little tea boutiques and residences (I think) along the way, I enjoyed browsing through each of the quaint souvenir shops that I came across. There were very few people going in those tucked-away shops and sometimes, it was only me. 

My favorite crafts were the ceramics which designs I find very unique. Ceramics like saucers and tea cups and candle holders. I remember in one shop, there was a really nice aromatic smell which I think was lavender. From that particular shop is where I bought cute ceramic incense holders for me and my aunt who likes incense and candles. I wanted to buy more stuff like the potpourri and candle holders -- there are also textile goods but I realized this is a touristy place no matter how off-the-track it might be -- the goods are a bit pricey for me.

You will know you are in the Arashiyama center once you pass by the temples where you can see some monks of probably different sects walking or just being busy in the area. From there you will see the packs of tourists and along the street leading to the Togetsukyo bridge, a line of restaurants and souvenir shops where you can see people standing in line at each one -- because it is just so nice to eat by such a beautiful destination especially by the bridge where you will be treated with such a beautiful scenery. 

The Bamboo forest is just around the corner and is actually not that difficult to find and that is thanks to the ample signs placed everywhere. The place is a tourist attraction after all. There was a lot of people already at around past 10 in the morning. Forgive me -- I was just trying to remember the time. Surely it was early because I always wake up very early when on vacay.

There are many street eats on the way to the Bamboo Forest. I grabbed a few of them and tried not to walk while eating because in Japan it is considered disrespectful. 

I reached the Bamboo Forest shortly and I find it so refreshing. I love the smell of the bamboo trees but not that they have a distinct smell. The smell of the trees just makes my heart sing. It is a rather short path though. "Oh, that was it?" I thought. I was somewhat wanting more. 





But it was beautiful. I'm not sure if the number of people have spoiled the feels. Some opted to ride a pulled rickshaw. I think that was cool. I did not like to try it though because I feel sorry for the rickshaw man though I know it is their living.

I went to a few tucked-away temples and shrines within the area then saved the Togetsukyo bridge for last. The view of the Togetsukyo bridge and the Hozugawa river was nothing short of stunning. Time seemed to have stopped here.

The cold wind was blowing hard that time. I followed a 
dove that flew over a tree by the river so that I can take a photo of it -- when my hat was blown away by the refreshing breeze. I picked up my already soaked hat that dropped near the water. "I like it here", I thought.




I am happy to view the bridge from the river bay. It has a nice little backdrop of hills that probably look really awesome during autumn. Though it was winter this time and those hills might look a little gray now, they certainly didn't look lonely -- in fact, they shined.

I went home fully satisfied and was actually very excited to go back -- to the hostel to have a nice soak and take a nap before the festivities in the evening for the New Year's eve -- which I will write about next so wait for that.







3 comments:

  1. Japan is one of the many countries I want to visit. Hopefully we'll be able to visit it soon. You are so lucky to explore Arashiyama. That train ride you metioned is interesting.

    www.mayenscorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Japan is one of the many countries I want to visit. Hopefully we'll be able to visit it soon. You are so lucky to explore Arashiyama. That train ride you metioned is interesting.

    www.mayenscorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Mayen, Japan is among the countries in Asia that we want to visit. Not now yet, but hopefully, in the years to come. We have one friend in Japan, whom we met during a day tour in Palawan and he is a very kind man. I hope one day, we can visit Kyoto as well. :)

    ReplyDelete