Back to Chapter Library


Actually, you would need to sign up to their website first, for reservation. But this day I got lucky and when I asked and the ladies who first came smirked and said, "Ah, did you register?" I really did not feel like giving up that easily, then suddenly this little auntie showed up in the picture and I gave her my most beautiful smile, "Good afternoon!" I was very enthusiastic and that's surely because even before I went into the entryway, I was already impressed by the little garden of exotic plants and shrubs that greeted me. In fact, I could stay here outside, I thought. But the gentle auntie would guide me inside even though I have not made a reservation. That time I was naturally elated.

I like the quietness of this place, the type that would let your thoughts wander in magical places... It feels like home. Well, it is almost like a house. It is a house, a house of books perhaps. The interior has very narrow paths just like that of a small bungalow. The spaces are very cozy, and it must be the great lighting which are all warm. Readers can just sit on the floor or pretty much anywhere with no problem. 

And of course, the smell of the books blended very well with the smell of brewed coffee, and some incense, I guess. How I missed this place. The traveler in me brought me to the room full of National Geographic magazines, and I obligingly indulged in every page. I could not imagine leaving that place without grazing all of those pages, maybe the only rare time when I get too gluttonous. 

A young couple approached the little nook I was sitting at for a while now and I think they would like to take IG shots due to the beautiful background. I ignored them and pretended I did not take notice even though they tried so hard to get my attention. I felt really guilty but sitting crossed legs on the shiny wooden floor without a care in the world is the best feeling ever. The girl was wearing a printed dark red and black dress and her partner just had khaki shorts and white top. The girl twirled about two times and it's already destroying my reflecting mood. "That's it," I thought. It's time to move to another room.

The aroma of the tea and coffee served at the main hall would penetrate the mask I was wearing and maybe it could have masked whatever perfume I was wearing or everybody's wearing at the moment. So there is this polarizing effect for everyone and all of us in this book house seems to be in a trance, all moving at the same slow pace like drifting and floating elegantly like our socks were never touching the wooden floor.

I turned around and looked for the toilet sign and saw it in one corner. The lamps that hung inside were marvelous which made me feel like staying longer than necessary. I can smell the incense or maybe it's an aroma candle lit in another room. The scent is warm and woody.

A classical music was being played even though the one old piano by the sofa chairs are not being used. I thought of sitting on it even for just a moment but I settled with just glancing at it a little because the luminous inner library was already calling for my attention. "This way, Alice," a faint sound in my head whispered.

I walked up the small platform and a tall old man was standing on the side whom I did not see before and wearing something a bit formal which made him look a bit out of place -- led me to the right side and said point his one hand to the line up: "Classics," his smile was small and his face very serious. I can't remember his face but his voice has a lovely tone.

Then I remembered a guy in Manila who I liked but who's timing was really off, at least as I perceive it. The only thing I can remember now about that guy is that I really like his voice which has a familiar tone. I really like it when he calls my name, it always put a smile on my face even if I try to hide it. In case you're wondering, no, it doesn't make me nervous when he calls my name. It's just like that soft breeze on your cheeks... makes me curious I guess.

"Pick me!" My hand did the picking just following that voice in my head. When I looked at the cover,  I smiled. It was Jane Austen's Persuasion. I sat on one side of the long wooden table and let myself be transported into another world. 

I caught myself singing one time when I was plainly browsing through some books, even though some of them foreign. I had to stop myself and be more aware so I immediately looked around me to see if I caused any disturbance. Well, there were those who were so comfortable that they sat on their knees,  some were lying sideways -- and there are a few more positions -- I had some relief when I did not catch anyone frowning. But I still wonder to this day which books they were holding... That time I wished I could take a peek into the world they immersed themselves into. 

I forgot about the time nor how many times I scratched my head because some books were written in Mandarin and I could not read them. This was the same exact feelings I had a few months back when I was in Singapore's enormous National Library. 

I found myself back sitting on the floor very comfortably at the small corner where I feasted on design books, and though this is the second time already it still felt like the first -- I was completely in awe. "I could live here," I whispered to the air that is slowly getting cold.

Suddenly the auntie I met earlier came to ask me if I want coffee. I thought coffee would be great but it seemed like I didn't want to bother her so I shaked my head. Maybe I changed my mind that time so I went out to the tea area and I was surprised that it seemed like we were the only ones left in this place. 

"Hi! Uhm, what time do you close?" It just came out of my mouth.

"5:30" She smiled warmly.

I looked at my phone and I saw it is already 5:35. I scanned the room to look for my other bag and I found it on a table. "Xie, xie..." I hurriedly uttered while putting my bag on my shoulder and I was slightly nodding. I told her that the place was very nice and that I will be back the next day which was also my birthday but of course I did not need to tell her about it.









No comments:

Post a Comment