One Historic Evening I Was Called an Antisocial



It was my third day in Seoul, the 21st of June, which also happens to be the Summer Solstice. My airbnb was small but chic, really chic. In fact, I adored the painting of a flamingo on the one side of the bed adjacent the TV set. The room was also at the rooftop, which I find really cool. 

The weather was beautiful but I was a bit under the weather since I arrived here. I'm awake from 11 in the morning but stayed in bed for a few more hours due to a slight fever. I stared at the ceiling, turned the air conditioning on and off, at 22, then when it's getting too cold, 24. I turned it off whenever I felt getting some chills. 

The television's set-top box was very difficult to navigate, maybe because of the language? I don't know. But I was able to watch a few episodes when it wasn't acting up.

Hot water is a heaven-sent as it has woke  up my senses. And I admit, the lovely scent of the liquid soap and shampoo provided which I think were good quality as well. Ah, I forgot what brand exactly. Anyway, I enjoyed bathing even when I was a bit sick. The fact is, I enjoy it when on vacation. When not on vaca, it's a different story.

There was nothing on my planner, no schedule, not much -- I did not do anything much on my first few days here in Seoul. Also, sometimes I think hard why would I get planners each year when I don't use them properly.

Looking at my calendar on my phone, there was a $10 hike to a mountain where we can view some nice city lights from the top. I have to be at Sadang Station by 6 p.m., Exit 6. I don't want to get lost so I contacted the group and asked for clarification on the message board. It was past 3 in the afternoon.

It was always nice to walk along the streets of the busy Hongdae. It's a bustling area with cafes and dress shops, which I hope were open until 1 or 2 a.m.   -- as every time I wake up it was often late, usually around 5 or 6 p.m. (I maintained my body clock from work). But this day, I can't miss my appointment so I was early -- already outside before 4 p.m. -- and headed to my newfound favorite, Ediya Coffee. This was my second time. And I never visited another coffee house after this because I kinda liked the smooth taste and aroma -- I reckon it's less acidic than normal. Also, the Chocolate Chip drink, too, haha!

I enjoyed my cup of coffee by sipping it a bit more slowly -- I find it hard to slow down sometimes, even when on vacation. There are a few couple of ladies at the corners of the cafe. Korean culture, indeed -- people hang out in groups, with their girls or group of friends. It is very rare that you would see a solo(ist) like me. Almost always, if you ever see one, she is either a tourist, or she is waiting for her friend(s). 

Why don't I call my mom, I thought. So, I video-called my mom on Messenger. Actually, I was feeling quite lonely on this tour -- this was the first time I contacted her from all my travels.

I wasn't feeling like finishing my cup inside so I went out, with my coffee by my hand. Across the street from Exit 8 of Hongdae, there are interesting malls and buildings, so I thought of crossing. I was intrigued since the day I arrived here, but thought I'd explore it this time. Umm, I'd say I like malls in Manila better. 

Olive Young is quite ubiquitous in Seoul. It is a drugstore similar to Watsons in Manila, or Boots in Bangkok. It was one of the best decisions I made in this trip -- to check out that store as it is where I found my mom's BTS merchandise which she requested. Originally, she requested a plushie, but BTS plushies are nowhere in sight. However, she later realized the one I bought was actually a better pick since Jungkook, himself, actually wore it! It is a head wrap with a cute character. Also, it is not easy to find BT21 merchandise in Korea, from my experience. 

Since it was almost 5 p.m., I decided to hop on the train going to Sadang station. By this time, I am quite feeling confident that I can navigate Seoul's subway system easily at the palm of my hands, unlike before. Thanks to the Seoul subway app and Google Maps. I felt like a pro. 

I think it was 45 minutes or so. Ah, the station looks old but busy. I took the stairs to Exit 6. There was a small park by the crossing where some groups of people sat. I was fifteen minutes early. So I explored the area. By this time, though, I was hoping somebody could reply to my query on the hiking group's page. I asked them if we are just to meet right outside of the said exit.

There is almost nothing noteworthy in the area except, to the left side -- was like a redlight district with small pubs and eateries, street foods and shops, plus a bunch of people because, heck, it was rush hour and it was a weekday. To the right, if you walk about 5 minutes straight Exit 6, you will find a museum, Nam Seoul Museum of Art. I tried to go inside the gates, but all I can do is get close to the front door, though it really looked like they were already closed. I walked farther, actually, past the museum, but there was nothing significant.

I went back to the mini park and found that the crowd was bigger, which were in groups actually. The dog which is following me from the museum was gone. I thought where it has gone. 

I stood still at one corner near the exit. Someone asked, "Hey, are you for the night hike?" It was Mr. Kim. I actually forgot his first name. Well, I think it was Darren. He has a family with two kids and has been guiding hiking trips for years already. That time, he was with Paul and Ollia first.



They continued laughing, telling jokes and stories after the short introduction. Ollia was sitting on the ground perfectly comfortable like she just finished a marathon -- she lied down one time when she was laughing very hard. She was an Indonesian. She works at a pub in Itaewon and also as a freelancer. Paul was a Canadian who's a Navy stationed in Korea? I'm not sure about the exact details, but this is as far as I can remember from what he said.

I thought we were just few. Later after another hour or so of waiting, we were a group of nine. Most of them were teaching English in Korea. Beth, a cute girl with nice facial features, her hair in a high ponytail, who's from British Colombia or maybe it's Alberta (my memory fails me sometimes. I'm trying my best, promise) -- told me to just place my clutch bag inside my backpack so that it would not be a nuisance during the hike. 

I then asked Darren, "It's an easy hike, right?" Darren, Ollia and Beth both stared at me. I tried to feel if they were about to joke about it or fool me that the hike is a difficult one. 

He said, "Don't worry, we will take it step by step. You just need to imagine yourself like a tiger."

"Yes, like a tiger," Ollia echoed, her hands positioned well, demonstrating how a tiger would hold its paws.

I was a little bit baffled. But I didn't take it to heart. I just said, "Oh. Do you think I can do it?"

"Of course." That's what they all echoed.

We started our journey, and I was feeling really great. It seems like I didn't get a fever a few hours back. I also though, well, why would I be afraid when Rosie, a British girl, was wearing a long, black rayon dress on a hike?

Sam is from Philly but he is a Korean. He asked, "Who left a message on the board earlier?" His English accent was good. 

I said, "Me!" And I don't know why I raised my hands as high as I could. I then checked my phone and saw that Sam actually replied to the message saying that the meeting place is just right outside the exit. 

I turned the pocket wifi off again so that I could still use it later. Though there was never a convenient time to pull up your mobile or do virtually anything when you are hiking in the dark and it is your first time climbing rocks. Okay, okay.  I wish I could detail everything, but I could really get lazy writing all these down so forgive me if I skip some.

I revelled in the sweet scent of the woods -- the grass, the tall trees, they never smelled this good. I knew I am in dire need of this. Did I say the weather was beautiful?

I was at the tail of the group because it was already uphill and I'm catching my breath. I'm all sweaty 10 minutes later. All were engaged in conversations while Darren kept on giving instructions. It was quite impressive how this guide kept everybody in check.

Paul, the old guy, was matching my pace and telling stories. He has a countenance like that of a big kid. He reminded me of a cousin close to me. 

He said, "I think your jacket will make you even more sweaty." I realized it too since it was a thick denim. I did not hesitate to remove it because I was having problems breathing already. I then wrapped it to my waist.

I later told the group to stop and take a breather first. I really should have brought two bottles of water. We just started and my water is already halved?

Everybody was enthusiastic -- telling stories what teaching in Korea was like and how low the salary is, and like how it was nice because people basically don't know each other so it is great that you won't feel like an outcast -- in Korea that is -- and also where they came from and how long they see themselves staying here, these kind of stuff.

Honestly, I just don't know where in the world did they get the extra energy to talk when I struggle on every step, hoping I won't forget to inhale and exhale. I admit though that I enjoyed listening to those stories :D I still consider mysef extremely lucky to have been with these wonderful souls. Yes, they are, and I feel so blessed.

The name of the tour guide wasn't Darren -- it's actually Warren. I remember it now. He's a handful and surely the life of the party. At one point, I tried to catch up and then was actually shocked when I was faced with steep boulders of rocks. Aha! 

It was a very auspicious moment, the day of the solstice, and I'm sure as hell wasn't planning on dying, especially by falling from climbing rocks! Now it made sense to me the look Beth and the rest of the gang gave me when I asked them if the hike was easy. They weren't joking.

I couldn't hide my terror. But Olia told me that I can do it and her tone was really uplifting -- it encouraged me. I tried to be brave not to look anywhere else but on the chips of the boulders where I should hold and place each my foot. I was at the tail of the pack once again.

It's not all boulders so there is still something to be thankful for, of course. When I thought we were at the summit, as Warren said we might not get to the highest point, I was relieved when he signaled that we stop and take in the views. 

Ah! The city scape stretches as far as the eye can see. I think I said "Oh, we're here?" a few times and no one answered me. They were all engaged in interesting conversations. 

My bottle of water is almost empty, but I tried to leave just a  little. We took pictures. Yes, what a sight. And what a hike, or so I thought. It would be impossible if we move to further up as the boulders behind us is impossibly steep to go through. But I was completely wrong.

Warren signaled we have to keep going. I complained. I complained a lot. I wanted to cry. Olia said that we wouldn't be able to go down if we don't pass this one. I am beyond shocked.

I tried to hold my breath, stood up straight and embraced the boulder rock in front of me. Actually, you couldn't move much as there is not much space behind and around you. My hands reached to firm chipped wedges of the boulder and tried to pull my body up but there's just one problem -- my right leg couldn't step on the one available wedge. I kept saying "Sorry, I can't do it, my legs are short." 

I was then one of those leading the pack but has actually stalled everybody behind me because of this obstacle. 10 minutes probably, has passed, or more, for waiting for me to move forward -- and me panicking and losing all the blood in my head. I really thought I was going to pass out this early. 

Even if Ollia was again handing out her hand to me, ready to pull me up, the incline was, I think, dangerous enough for me not to do it that way. I can hear the other guys from below me shouting that I can do it. They all said they will all catch me if I fall, and so on. Their voices reverberated in my ear but I wasn't sure if I should believe them.

Then Louise, the American girl who's from Boston, stood beside me and said, "You can step on my leg, here." It was a surprise indeed to hear that. I realized I don't have any other option but be brave. I should not take for granted her generosity, so all the courage left from every cell in my body, I mustered, stepped real quick on her right leg and quickly crawled my way up so that she would not feel my weight. It was a success. Thanks to her. Thanks to the whole team for putting up with me.

If you're wondering what time it is, well it's way past 8 pm... Didn't I say that this time of the year in Seoul, the sun sets at around 9pm? Sun was already setting during that time I was crying (in my mind) -- that obstacle I overcame -- so it was not completely dark, there was still a faint light that glowed off the wedges of the boulders. Or, maybe it was the light coming from the full moon. That strawberry moon literally lit up our way. It was summer solstice.

There were many peaks, which every time, I thought was the last one. I were wrong a few times. Thankfully, the highest peak was paved with steel staircases -- wow! And the view, needless to say, was breathtaking -- in a literal way! So why do people suffer to hike mountain peaks just to get this view? I think this question is irrelevant as the view wouldn't be as beautiful if the path was that easy.

What can be more shocking than us, or me particularly, overcoming the boulders and now taking in the great views, were seeing some group of Koreans having a random picnic like it was the most natural thing in the world. They just came here to eat dinner, that's all. No big deal. 

Warren, the guide, continued on telling stories, blah, blah, blah -- such an energetic guy. There is definitely no other person as suitable in this kind of profession than him. 

All the other guys, too, had a lot of energy, and saliva. I, on the other hand, stayed quiet. Actually, for a time, I forgot how thirsty I was. Swallowing my own saliva was enough at that moment. Also, it was exhilirating how my brain was getting filled with pure oxygen -- I felt so "kilig" over nothing -- yeah, overcoming Gwanaksan Mountain is no big deal. 

Sam asked me, "How do you feel now?" I felt like my brain was like in a blank state -- I said, "Well, I'm speechless." "I'm overwhelmed." I want to take a moment, actually.

"You did really well."

In reality, I still can't believe I did that. My heart was still beating fast, but in a good way, and the adrenaline rush, maintained. I'd say I stayed "lit up" all night.  

So when was the time I was labeled as "antisocial?" Ah, we will get there soon enough.

Of course our way down the hill was not at all easy, and it took us like an hour more. My knees were already tender, but I did not mind the many times a slipped up and hit the ground -- nah, actually, I was more interested in hearing people's stories. Nay, they did not stop one bit -- they kept me woke.

What also kept me going during that time was imaginging food -- Japanese, Filipino food, mainly. This was the only time I seemed to obssess about food, or thought about food that much. I imagined a buffet table. I imagined how good it smells. I realized then how much I take food for granted. Sometimes, circumstances make us realize the value of things.

One particular conversation that struck me the most was that of Sam and Louise. Sam was telling Louise how he plans to stay for a while in Korea and stay with his sister's family, and that when he goes back to the states, he will try to hit a job at this certain brewery. And then Louise said that after teaching English in Korea, that she would want to go back to the states she just isn't sure which state, and that she eyes for a fulfilling job like that of a social welfare worker, or someone who works with people with disabilities. This made me think things. She said she is 26 and that she is old, and that at her age, she wanted to live a fulfilling life. Sam assured her that she is not that old.

I hope these people did not mind me uttering the f word every time I fell. It was liberating somewhat. It also made me forget my current issues. Yes, I had some issues myself, in this particular trip. This also would be the reason I was a bit quiet. This trip was the one that did not happen, almost. Something tragic occured that made me not want to pursue it. It was a traumatic and scary thing and scared me enough to not almost make this trip.

When we reached downtown, some of us headed their own way. Those who do not have other plans for the night went ahead to grab some dinner to conclude the evening -- Warren's recommendations, as expected -- a local eatery with no English on the menu board. 

I sat beside Rosie, the English girl, from England, of course, and to my right, sat Beth, the cute girl from Alberta. In front of us were, from left to right: Warren, Paul, Olia and Sam. Unfortunately, Louise and Greg already left ahead of us as they have other appointments that evening. I forgot where Greg came from -- I just remember that when we were hiking, he was the one lecturing Rosie and Sam about Sirius, the brightest star in the summer sky -- which conversation I almost joined in if not for me catching my breath during the strenous hike. Of course, I know Sirius, the "dog star" in the constellation of Canis Major, which is near Orion. Yes, I love astronomy, and subsequently, astrology -- I'd say more on astrology.

The conversations would not stop, and actually, I did not mind. Sam and Beth were engaged in a conversation. I also would want to join in the conversations but I just didn't have that many interesting stories to tell. I did, from time to time though, joined in some jokes they tell.

Olia, Warren and Paul were talking about their throwback pictures -- it was a Thursday anyway. Olia showed her picture five years ago, when she first arrived in Seoul. She was so skinny then and looked like a Filipino (she's Indonesian). Paul showed a pic of like ten years ago with a girl beside him. Rosie commented that he look better now that he is older (he is 50+ now, I think). Then, Warren also showed his picture before he had kids (he has two kids now and planning to have a third 
one). 

Paul said that it was fine -- when I commented that I didn't have a throwback picture -- said that it's understandable because I'm still young anyway. (I wanted to say that I'm not that young).

Rosie and I enjoyed the kimchi and the veggies -- pajeon, I remember that's what it is called. Though there were a couple of variations, like a seafood pajeon, which was sooo sooo good, a plain veggie pajeon and a kimchi pajeon. 

Warren later ordered something that looked like jelly strips and asked us to taste it and try to guess what it is. I first took a sniff, but noticed it did not smell anything so I couldn't take a guess, unless of course I taste it. I tried to take a bite but I did not like its chewy texture and the fact that it tastes a bit bland. So I did not eat it. He said it's pork skin. Good thing I did not chewed it all the way because I don't eat pork! Whew!

They all enjoyed makgeolli, but I didn't and I could only take one shot glass, because I don't really drink and I have a bad allergy to alcohol. I really missed the pajeon, now that I think about it. It was sooo good -- maybe we were just hungry. Sam and Beth laughed at how fast Rosie and I attacked the plates of pajeon and asked us to finish the ones they have in front. 

Sam then said, "Why are you guys so antisocial?" He said so because he and Beth were talking for a while and we did not even try to interject once. I did listen for some of their stories though but that was before Rosie showed me a picture of her cat she named "Kyowa," from the word "Kyopta" -- a Korean word which means "cute." It was a golden Persian cat.

I just replied to Sam simply, "I'm not antisocial." Though I really thought he did not pay attention to my reaction. Maybe I'm just not that talkative as I should be. Or maybe because I was preoccupied with something or some things... 

Also, I think there is such thing as nonverbal communication and I believe that listening is one form, even if it is the passive variety.

By the way, aside from the cute cat that Rosie showed me, and us, was her tattoo on her thigh. I took a picture of it -- a huge writing that occupied the whole upper leg that says, Normality is a paved road. It's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow in it.








No comments:

Post a Comment