Uncovering the Most Hidden Parts of Singapore



Singapore might be known to be a technological and financial hub but it also has another persona. Aside from having the Marina Bay and the Universal Studios Singapore, also known as USS, it is also a country that is a melting pot of Malaysian, Arabic and Indian and other cultures. Its nooks and crannies are colored in different facades, aromas and accents.

Most people do not talk about the Indian culture in particular, or if they have, then I have not heard of it prior. It is a bit obscure, so I was astounded by what I had discovered.

Move over subway. I would not be talking about the diversity we encounter when we hop on a subway in Singapore. When I visited Singapore with my aunt and cousin, can you imagine we had an ultimate Indian culture immersion? It was when we explored a most obscure part of Singapore.

Our adventure started when I booked a hostel named Vintage Inn in Little India as this was the one that captured my fancy at the time. It is a quaint hostel situated literally in the midst of aromatic Indian restaurants near Little India subway station.



We arrived a little bit early -- actually just before the sun rose on the horizon. The place we were looking for is just in front of a main road with lots of Indian restaurants left and right. They are all closed at the time and some with chairs upside down tables. We walked up a narrow unfinished stairs to the second floor (hostel lobby). The smell of curry dominated the area. I thought it was just because of the restaurants. I started to worry that my aunt would not like the accommodation because of that smell. Sure I had a choice of picking a nice hotel instead of an inn but out of complete curiosity, this is the one I picked.

The entrance was still unfortunately closed. We rang the doorbell a few times thinking since it is a hostel at least someone must be up already who could open the door for us. It took us a few hours when someone finally opened the door. It was Vino. (Like wine, maybe -- or maybe it is Vinu but
whatever). The hostel is family-owned and it seemed like Vino and other guys also stay in the same building (this is obvious) -- and they are surprisingly very casual which is what I actually like about this place. There is that particular charm when you are in front of a local, casual hair and clothes, even flip flops, and a casual conversation. It was breezy indeed. We needed this. We needed casual, as personally, my aunt, cousin and I are actually casual individuals. 



Looking back this was the tiniest hostel I've been in. And when I say tiny, you literally could bump with someone when entering or exiting a bathroom cubicle. This could also be the same when washing the dishes or getting water for your coffee. The second floor of the building would be where you will find Vintage Inn's main lobby. Although there were rooms (or a room) there, we were located at the third floor where there is the pantry, shower room and some capsule beds. The dining tables are wooden round tables for twos with wooden stools. The capsule beds are wooden decks provided with a little curtain at the foot entrance for additional privacy. Compared to the one I had in Japan, this capsule bed is quite spacious. The lights in the capsule area are dimmed and the AC at its coldest  (probably 19 degrees or less).

Traveling with an elderly means we would wake up late as we would wait for our companion. However, life in Little India is slow anyway, in that it would be difficult to find open restaurants very early so we mostly relied on convenience stores. There was one restaurant though that serves biryani-curry set meal for S$5, which happens to be the go-to eatery of Indian workers in the area. You may notice that though life here seem to be slow, lunch time could reveal the actual busyness as busy people get their fill in the restaurants. Aside from this, the only thing that remains fast in Little India are the escalators in the subway. I went to this Indian restaurant one morning alone. I 
remember this restaurant do not serve free water -- or maybe most restaurants in Singapore? I am not sure about that now and I actually forgot exactly. But I remember paying for a bottled drink from their fridge.

It is very convenient that our hostel sits just a block away away from the metro subway. When we go out to explore the city, we would see people rushing to the subway. And in the evening, the area would be asleep already at around past 11 pm or so.

There is a very nice temple in like less than 10 minutes of walking. My aunt was very eager to see it so I accompanied her. Not that I am not -- it was also in my itinerary. The vicinity has an old city vibe and along the way to the temple, you would see barber shops, small restaurants, merchandise stores that sell Indian goods and textiles, motorbikes parked in a parking lot. You would know you are near the temple when you see sidewalk vendors selling colorful and fragrant garlands which I secretly wished at the time I had bought for souvenir.

We arrived there before 6pm, just in time, as people were just coming in for worship. I did not have time to count how many deities were and who were what. All I had in mind is that I need to get my evidence for the crime I was about to make -- take pictures which could be most unholy thing to do inside a temple -- and considering the fact that this temple is not that huge to begin with. I do not need the picture just for my blog -- memories is what I am after. And so I pinned my eyes or eye rather to the small lens of my Canon and took snaps of all the deities that can be found and like I mentioned earlier, I did not even try to count them. Despite of my unholy actions, people remained fully engaged to their businesses it impressed me so much.

Cleanliness must be a number one rule there as shoes are not allowed inside. In fact, people are required to wash their feet from the washing area by the entrance. Devotees sat down the smooth and shiny waxed floor. I saw myself sitting on the floor, too, for a minute -- honestly just to feel how they must have felt.  There is a sense of stillness even in the midst of constant movement of people inside the temple. 

Upon entering the temple, a person would first bow as a form of obeiscances. Some bowed with their whole body completely down to the ground. Then they would buy an offering from a small window that has stacks of milk and other stuff that devotees could offer the deities. You would see the Brahmins, who are the only persons to service the main altar. They are quite busy than most as they have to go back and forth the main altar to get the flowers previously offered so they could give it away to the devotees. I feel so lucky and blessed to having been handed some. It has been said that whatever kind of flower(s) lands on your hands would have significant meaning. 

The Brahmins' presence are more than just perks of traveling. These beings are holy (or supposed to be). To be in their presence would be an honor. They are called as such because they have devoted their life to serve in the temple. Even if one do not know who they are or what they do, you would just feel it, I guess. If they are wearing white trousers,  it means they are a householder or someone who is a family man. Those who are wearing yellow pants would still be single folks serving the temple.  
For the whole time we were there, I was quiet. My mind could finally find quietness. Awe is such a great thing. Sometimes it takes great awe to quiet the mind. In this age of distraction, to quiet the mind I think only becomes most essential. Is this also the reason why we travel? Probably. Lastly, it is surely the gulab jamun and laddu that make me want to go back there, that is if I am not missing the spicy biryani rice :D
I end this note with this cliche: Not all who wander are lost ~ LOTR.





No comments:

Post a Comment