Way to Kiyomizudera Temple


After my visit to Fushimi Inari, there is a very old city feel to the surrounding cafes that follow your way to the Kiyomizu. I was already hungry. When I saw one restaurants grilling some eel in the outside I knew Id be eating there. I ordered right away as I was a bit famished and cold. When I sat down I was psyching myself out to try to finish everything whether or not Id like the taste of eel.





When the freshly grilled eel with rice came, I was glad to also have a hot soup. I was sipping the soup when another man was placed to sit in front of me. He was an old folk, a local. His clothes were old and it looked like he did some blue collared job. He uttered a few words. Nihonggo, which I didn't understand. I just hoped he was not  cursing me back then. I was trying to do my best to use the chopsticks as he might get a bad impression.

He finished his meal very fast maybe not less than 15 minutes. I was glad but Im getting cold from inactivity. So shocked that the soup got cold very fast, my eyes searched for some vendo machine where I could get hot coffee. No vendo in sight inside so I tried to pay my bill and tried to get the one woman waitress' attention. She was smirking from the cashier -- until I finally get that I need to go there to pay before walking out.

I need to keep moving so that I will not freeze all my bones. Took some photographs along the way as I had some renewed energy. I hopped on the bus mainly going to the start of the trek to Kiyomizu temple.




So let me just use Kiyomizu rather than the whole name of Kiyomizudera as people here likes abbreviation so much. Yup, I also learned that from one of my Japanese students way back.

I was already starting to regret of not having a comfortable walking boots on this trip. I sure next time to just wear if not a flat boots then a good pair of sneakers. I lost on this one. I think the uphill hike on the concrete narrow street took around an hour or less and I felt at the time it to be never-ending. But I am not saying it isn't entertaining. It sure is a wothwhile walk, albeit a very long uphill battle. You can do plenty of stops anyway so that you can breeze through the many artifacts, souvenirs being sold along the way, not to mention soft ice cream, hello matcha!

But I did definitely feel my toes being crushed brutally and I just felt for not having much of a  compassion for myself. I will not do that again, promise. I thought though that it is a good thing that I was just a solo traveler at this time as I wouldn't have spare energy to talk. Sorry if my humor is that bad.

I was out of breath by the time I got to the top but lo and behold, there are still a few more stairs before the main hall.



I wanted to stay longer, probably drink some tea but I was quite honestly feeling the chill already. I followed some crowd who I believe were going the exit. I remember grabbing a few cans of hot coffee as I made my way home. This was my first day in Kyoto so yes, I got lost on my way home to the hostel but was able to make it before dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment